They are warning this is
“Heart Attack” snow!
It’s that wet and heavy to shovel!
Let me testify.
I just needed to renew my passport. A lot of paperwork to fill out and it’s really tough to write—my mother obliged me, I just needed to sign my name. But my signature LOOKS LIKE A FORGERY. An extra form needed to be sent to explain why it IS legit.
So I’ll be working my way back to the “big ideas.”
I thought I’d tackle framing out the new kitchen chalkboard. Ordinarily the simplest of jobs. Now an awkward task AND keep safe!
◊ I wanted to router a picture frame profile to the inside, and just soften/round over the outside edge.
◊ I also needed to run the boards through the table saw creating a thin rabbet enough to lay over the chalk board, with the rest to lay flat on the wall.
Hopefully this helps make sense of things—
~I pre-primed and it’s up—now I just need to lightly sand, putty any little gaps, then paint.
What’s next is to hang coved molding across the top for that extra finish, and create a chair rail for the bottom (over the brick). And THAT will actually tie into another project to come.
*They had OPTIONAL sleigh rides!
Kiddos took turns getting dragged behind our sleigh!
The stress and pressure of a first REAL project was taking a toll on my finger, so day 2 was a “rest” day to deal with the swelling and aching.
Day 1– I shared that I stripped, sanded, and waxed the wood base. And before the day was out, I applied the padding and batting.
Day 3– I worked on the upholstery. But first there was a bit of prepping for the 4 button tufts.
◊ I marked out the locations,
◊ and cut slits all the way down to the wood decking…
◊ then drilled a hole completely through that decking.
I positioned the fabric and started working on the tufts.
◊ I used welting cord tied in a pretty top knot for the temp “finish” because none of the 3 stores I chased to currently had upholstery-grade covered buttons. I’ll hot glue a covered button over it later.
◊ Because I was using a thick medium, I used wire to pull the cord through the holes. Think of it like a flexible sewing needle.
1st, I poked the wire through the fabric to pull the cord through.
Then I poked the wire up through the wood decking and padding from underneath—caught the cord and pulled it down through the layers.
Once you pull the cord through to the under side,
you’ll need to pull it down and taut,
-adjusting & smoothing the top side to look how you want-
then staple the cord back and forth in a zig-zag fashion to keep it from letting go.
With the tufts in place, I worked on stapling down the fabric at each of the corners, pulling and smoothing, then stapling down the rest. *I use a pneumatic staple gun—it makes a HUGE difference in a job!
The last task was to run almost 12ft of single welting to cover over the raw, stapled edges. Btw~this ottoman is really comfy to sit on!
I WiLL have to pace myself + I have another Dr assessment Friday.
I’m sharing this project at
Posted in antiquing and thrifting!, benches, Craig's list, my antique mall space!, REpurposed/REinvented furniture, TIPS -construction and finishing, upholstery | Tagged making an ottoman, REinventing a coffee table, upholstery | 9 Comments »