O m g …a finished project!
It’s been a w h i l e !
The stress and pressure of a first REAL project was taking a toll on my finger, so day 2 was a “rest” day to deal with the swelling and aching.
AND~day 2 happened to be my birthday. Family took me out for Mexican & margaritas ~for medicinal purposes! ; D
Day 1– I shared that I stripped, sanded, and waxed the wood base. And before the day was out, I applied the padding and batting.
Day 3– I worked on the upholstery. But first there was a bit of prepping for the 4 button tufts.
◊ I marked out the locations,
◊ and cut slits all the way down to the wood decking…
◊ then drilled a hole completely through that decking.
I positioned the fabric and started working on the tufts.
◊ I used welting cord tied in a pretty top knot for the temp “finish” because none of the 3 stores I chased to currently had upholstery-grade covered buttons. I’ll hot glue a covered button over it later.
◊ Because I was using a thick medium, I used wire to pull the cord through the holes. Think of it like a flexible sewing needle.
1st, I poked the wire through the fabric to pull the cord through.
Then I poked the wire up through the wood decking and padding from underneath—caught the cord and pulled it down through the layers.
Once you pull the cord through to the under side,
you’ll need to pull it down and taut,
-adjusting & smoothing the top side to look how you want-
then staple the cord back and forth in a zig-zag fashion to keep it from letting go.
With the tufts in place, I worked on stapling down the fabric at each of the corners, pulling and smoothing, then stapling down the rest. *I use a pneumatic staple gun—it makes a HUGE difference in a job!
The last task was to run almost 12ft of single welting to cover over the raw, stapled edges. Btw~this ottoman is really comfy to sit on!
I’ve already taken it to the antique mall ’cause — I need to clear the decks for A Dresser Project!
I WiLL have to pace myself + I have another Dr assessment Friday.
But baby~I’m staging my comeback!
I’m sharing this project at