I’ve been working on some decorative plaques for the Vintage Market this weekend. I need “smalls” for it.
So, what do I have?
-I have lots of scrap wood in my studio from varying projects.
-A neighbor gave me some old door casing from the REmodel of his 100yr old simple farm house.
-I’ve been collecting lots of graphics for years -and- a roll of onion skin.
For my first plaques, I created a shield form in 2 sizes~and made a pattern to make them over & over! I actually used some slab doors I bought at the ReStore for these.
After cutting out the shape, I routered a detailed edge, sanded, and primed them. Headed back in to play with some graphics on the computer. Wrapped cardstock paper with onion skin, and printed out my images.
I made 4 “birds” and a large B&B plaque.
Next, I dug out several misc end cuts of pine boards, “squared” them up, ran them through the router table, sanded and primed.
I also stripped the stain off a couple of small ReStore cabinet doors.
Again, I played around setting up some graphics—a variety of images, mostly from the backs of vintage china. I love the stamps and crests that were used and have been collecting those images for many years.
I printed all onto onion skin that I wrapped around heavy cardstock paper to go through the printer. Since I have yet to master ANY transfer method, I decided to use the very translucent onion skin to decoupage the images instead! THAT, I can do!
*You can see at right just how translucent onion skin is.
I prefer to use wall paper paste in my decoupage projects.
1– It has more open time to move and adjust things. I’ve heard some of you say how you struggle, try this instead!
2– It’s easier to UNdo down the line. Wallpaper stripper will help get some off, and the rest can be sanded off. Good luck with ModPodge.
3– I use wallpaper paste to seal the surface and edges of decoupaged drawer fronts, and the finish is much the same as ModPodge.
And then I spent a very enjoyable day applying all my papers!
When they were all dry I gave them all a light sanding to their surface, and a good sanding to clean up the paper edges/sides. I clear waxed all—then lime waxed and dark waxed some of them too.
Lastly, I ripped the 100+ year old casing (from the neighbor) into 2″ widths, and cut mitered strips on the chop saw to frame each. Plus, I screwed “D” rings to the back of each for hanging.
I love the many old, gloppy layers of paint, the cut nails, all the imperfections!
A fun project for next to nothing—
I ran out of board on this frame and scabbed in a corner–I luv it more!
Read Full Post »