The chairs at the breakfast table are really wearing out. They were thrift store finds to begin that needed work—in 1999.
One was only $4, the other was a gift.
The breakfast area has a very ethereal feel to it. . .with all miss-matched pieces brought together by fabric and paint.
I’ve been watching for a couple of interesting replacement chairs for a while now—and hoping for a matching pair this time around.
But LOOK WHAT I FOUND -but there was only ONE left—there were TWO, someone bought just one of them, dang it! I presume because of the broken cane in the seat. I negotiated $20. I LUV the super tall back!
Well, first thing to do was -make sure it looked good at the table and with the banquett! -Whew!
I painted the chair white.
I really couldn’t see the benefit in ripping out the cane, so I applied webbing right over the top -and decided to hot glue the cane and webbing together for extra strength. Now you can sit in confidence!
Next, I grabbed some card stock paper to create a seat pattern.
Then I transferred the seat pattern to the grain sack I wanted to use.
* THE GRAIN SACK has a very special connection! The farm my mother grew up on was eventually sold to distant cousins, who gave me one of their farm grain sacks on one of our yearly trips down to there—SO nice!
Thick Grain Sack can be very exhausting to cut, so I like to use the old electric scissors!
(Do they even sell these anymore?)
I cut banding strips too to sew a boxed seat cover.
~and I was off to the sewing machine…
Next I used batting and left over foam to give the seat a little extra cush’…
and finally I could apply the boxed cover…
The seat is a little shallow, but it’s wide and very comfortable!
I love the grain sack -and the personal connection to it- and I love the bespoke look and feel! The other side of it, or, back side of it is in reserve for whatever 2nd chair I find. As for the banquette—I’m hunting for some upholstery-grade linen (or if I’m lucky enough to find some HEMP), and I’ll REcover that as well!
The ceiling is in for a design change too- including chandelier, and a change to the back wall~but that’s a little down the pike! Stay tuned. . .
I’m sharing this project with–