Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘REfinishing chairs’

Back in early December I was asked to REwork a pair of mismatched antique pressed back chairs *The link tells how they are created!

mismatched PRESSED BACK chairs

The darker actually has a mate (and may get worked on later),

the lighter chair came from the Ottillia Catherine estate sale I ran last spring.  Judy snatched it up before anyone else saw it—ahh those rope spindles ♥ ♥ ♥ !

They would be needed for extra seating at Christmas.  So the lighter went to the strippers for sake of time–AND because  It.  Needed.  WORK.

While the guys showered it with their expertise, I REworked the darker.  It lived by/in a South-facing window and was dry and sun faded.  A light sanding and over-staining brought it back, and I played with varying stains to match the seat.

Both chairs had the telltale evidence of original caning.  After talking it all out, caning WILL probably happen down the line, but for now, I’d cut wood for upholstered seats.  I used the caning holes to attach the seats -but very carefully- so not to damage anything for the later project.

mismatched PRESSED BACK chairs

I made seat patterns with heavy card stock paper, reduced the size a little, then used it to cut the wood seats and padding.  Both seats were covered with the incredible matelasse that was ordered from Italy for Judy’s french ladder back chairs *I can’t remember if I showed you those at the end…??

Here they are, just before REdelivery.   Plus that mirror you see behind them—which is another story I’ll share soon.

mismatched PRESSED BACK chairs

Here’s the darker pressed back–with its mate.  It’s actually in pretty good condition, with exception to the busted out caning.

Catherine

mismatched PRESSED BACK chairs

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

I’m still here -but-

LIFE has just been more than a

LITTLE bit crazy.

For a while now.
Now don’t think I haven’t been working on projects…

it's just LIFE

it's just LIFE

French country ladder back chairs

One such project has been making over 4 French country ladder back chairs.

The rush seats were totally shot, and the stain color was very worn and “orange.”

HERE- they were waiting their turn at the strippers.  I also had the guys bleach the Cherry hoping to lighten them just a bit more.

sanding the French country ladder back chairs

W H A T.  a.  P A I N.  in the p’tutie to sand these buggers.

I tried using just about EVERY sander I own, and EVERY kind of sand paper and sanding sponge available.  There was just NO EASY WAY to tackle this job.

And it was SO dirty.

But I was totally loving that pale, light wood!

sanding the French country ladder back chairs

Below is a comparison for you to see,

WITH some disappointing results.

Once I had a chair fully sanded, I sampled several stain colors,

a brush-on water based clear coat,

and some clear wax so I could see what I liked best.

*The BRUSH-ON WATER-based clear coat did not change the color of the wood.

But as soon as the SPRAY OIL-based clear coat hit the wood~

the RED in the Cherry popped again.

sanded & clear coated

After a little conference call with the strippers, it was thought that the OIL-based clear coat was at fault.

So I used a SPRAY WATER-based clear coat on the next chair with essentially the same result.

I did notice that the water-based brush-on was sort of “milky.”  And apparently THAT made all the difference in keeping a pale wood tone. But I was UNwilling to clear coat all the chairs with a BRUSH!

Next up—the Italian Matelasse upholstery!

Catherine

Read Full Post »