Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘REfacing a bookcase’

THIS was Monday–

the room is ready to go!

THIS is Friday!

the newly REstyled bookcases!

And THIS is how the week went!

Monday- I finished the last of the prep work.
Tuesday & Wednesday- picked up my stained parts, propped the key parts together to see where adjustments would have to be made –just plan on it, ’cause it happens– and got to work.  All was coming together!

Uh~mostly.

I’m still not quite satisfied with the bookshelf’s natural break line.  I may be making a change.  –We’ll see.
I started painting the interior to brighten it.  I used the satin finish from the Lower Level I had mixed to match the Living Room’s suede texture.  But without the suede texture, the satin finish read too “white.”
Thursday- So I ran off to get another paint mixed just a bit darker than the walls, and got everything finished including the shelves!
While I was out, I stopped in to have a conversation with my lighting guru and made a last minute (literally) LIGHTING decision.

painting the interior~

Early this morning I gave a light sanding to a few “rough” areas and REpainted.  While it was drying, I got crackin’ on the new TAPE lighting!

adding concealed TAPE lighting

You can see that it’s very small, low profile, and concealable!  BEST- it gives a consistent –not spotty– wash of light flooding across the shelving.  I had my lighting guy make TWO 66″ lengths to go behind each pilaster, an appropriate length to feed back towards the outlet, but connected to plug in to ONE spot.  The outlet is triggered by a wall switch I added in construction.
This lighting is  so flat~low profile, it easily slips between the slight wall~shelf gap.  I only needed to drill a small hole through the lid and the center shelf to feed the tape through, from top to bottom.  It attaches by a sticky taped backing.
The down side is that it’s still a new format~meaning EXPENSIVE.  $126 + tax.  I’ll probably add this underneath the upper kitchen cabs for counter task lighting—it’s really nice!

Look at the difference—in DAY light!

Just imagine at night!

adding Tape Lighting

the 2nd life of the Shaker bookcases
Here’s the “before” to THIS project!
I have a few things left to finish, which I’ll share later, but in the mean time~

I’ll REwork and REload all the family photos~

Catherine

the NEW bookcases W/NEW lighting!

Read Full Post »

4th of July on Chute Pond!
You know,

cheap bookcase~new face.

Yes, it’s ONE of the projects I was putting in such loooong hours for.

I hit [most of] my deadlines, before running out of steam,

took a 4th of July lake break,

and am finally getting back on track.  Or should I say I’m back to finish those missed deadlines?

*This is how I started each day off!  Nice~right?

So~ I believe I left you at “hardware.”

I decided on something a bit “unexpected” for a rustic cabinet, and some old magazine pages for the center void.

a little "unexpected" hardware

The cabinet interiors

Plan A~ starts with a crazy story.  Bill Gates commissioned a very large pair of bullet-proof, leather-clad front doors for one of his houses.  A friend’s husband was one of the contractors.  There was EXTRA material fabricated (just in case~I’m sure), and it was given to MOI~ can you believe!

I wanted to REclad the whole interior of the bookcase in it—but there wasn’t enough.

Plan B~ I thought about REcladding the whole interior with some of the obnoxious quantity of oak veneer I got off of Craigslist long ago for a whopping $11.  But it felt like more work than REsale would bring.

Plan C~  Short cut job by PAINTING the interiors in a dark chocolate and use the leather bound wood for the backboard!

06-19-16 Bookcase facelift -CL $15-004

Problem #1.  All the colors clashed together.  The split logs, the paint color, the leather.  I tried “staining” the leather—AWFUL.  I tried cleaning it off—uh, making it worse.  With nothing to lose, I applied a “natural” furniture stripper I use often. It all ended in a Happy Accident!  Well, I kinda think so.

Leather-bound wood

a leather-bound backboard

shelf edge details--

Problem #2.  The split logs were splintering-rough so I VERY lightly sanded and brushed on a matte urethane.  BIG mistake—the wood looked like PLASTIC.  I sanded the sealer-finish and/but lost the whole rustic vibe from the logs.  Crap!  Do I PRY OFF the boards and start over?  Distress-paint or white-wash?   But then I have to figure out anther backboard.  I dry-brushed two browns and sanded right away.

Problem #3.  Now I have WaY too much time into this REsale project to add real wood shelves.  I’ll have to work with the sagging particle board shelves.  I cut an inch of depth off with the table saw, flipped them wrong side up, added a strip of the log boards to the front edge, and painted.

The new face of a Rustic, Cottage-styled cabinet!

At the end of the day, it all came together

and went to the Door County antique mall—

a cottage and vacationing audience!

I think it would be great extra storage in that scenario!

◊ In the bathroom loaded with towels and other accouterments.

◊ In a bedroom holding linens & blankets.

◊ Even staged in the hall to accommodate multiple guest room extras!

Catherine

Read Full Post »