Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘pilasters’

ENTER!You truly just
don’t know
HOW
important

enter

is
until you
don’t have it!

A-MAZ-ing what that key does!  And a sticking Backspace & part time Shift key are problematic too.  Ugh.

 

♠ Did I mention this was all due to a DISTANTLY tipped-over, small glass of cranberry juice that went airborne.  Like a ballistic missile–target keyboard.
Direct Hit.

One newly replaced keyboard, 5 days, $152—and I’m ENTER’ing away now!

Enter, enter, enter, enter, enter, enter, enter, enter (’cause I can) enter, enter, enter, enter, enter, enter, enter, enter away!

Corinthian Capitols-While things have-sort of-settled down & my mother readies for MAJOR surgery-

I’m getting to work on a few projects!

I’ve been wanting to do something with this pair of Corinthian capitols
for a while.  A N D- I have some “scrap” wood on hand.
Architectural stuff is always a fun project, soooo . . .
how about a pair of PILASTERS!

I cut my boards to length for a 6ft total height, then ripped them to 6″ wide on the table saw.
THEN, I ran them through the router table with a lrg cove bit to give the sides a little extra detail.
BUT, I created stops to control the end detail.

Lastly- I created a pair of plinths to overlay the bottoms and added a detailed cap. . .

. . . sanded everything and got busy putting all the pieces together!

the bases of my Pilasters-

The over-laid plinths & cap were just glued and nailed in place.
The Corinthian capitols were joined by pocket screws.
And you can see by the back stamp they were made in Italy!

made in Italy! using pocket screws to join the parts-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Two things of note here-
1. The capitols are made of composite materials.  The face side is actually some type of refined molded wood (like MDF?) and can be stained.  The “fill” is a highly compressed wood chip & glue mixture.  Super strong and a whole lot cheaper than carved wood!
2. You can see my pencil marks that indicate stopping points for the router table. 

The finish may totally shock you—it’s Rust-Oleum Metallic spray paint!  Aged Rusty Metal, specifically.  Because of the mixture of materials, I was going to default to a shabby-chic white painted finish, but I wanted a dark base to show through, and this can was still handy from the previous project. . . and look at the outcome!

Don’t ‘cha love a HaPPy AcCiDeNT!
So I’m callin’ this

fini!

a pair of architectural Pilasters!

Stain would NOT have brought the varying materials together
so consistently, but this metallic spray paint DID!
AND looks like STAIN!!!

And THAT’s an easy WIN
I’ll take- all day long!

Catherine

my architectural PILASTERS! my architectural PILASTERS!

 

my architectural PILASTERS!

Read Full Post »

A pair of simple, classic Shaker bookcases—

in the beginning (below upper right corner), and later, moved together in construction and altered by the addition of reeded pilasters with plinth blocks, and crown & base moldings.  And lighting.

the Shaker-styled bookcases

the 2nd life of the Shaker bookcasesIt was a simple, classic look.

But you know what?  I just NEVER felt satisfied.  Years of thinking about their change, many sketches, a collection of architectural items—just lead back to ANOTHER version of simple and classic!

This LAST DESIGN~I’m happy.

So on Wednesday, I cleaned the shelves of all the family pictures.  I stripped down all the embellishments and carried the bookshelves outside to work on their last makeover!

We’ve been in a veritable heatwave and all the snow is melted -which let me lay them out on the driveway on their backs to more easily work out all those details!

creating a new face~

Here, all the facing of the Shaker style is removed-

DEconstructing the original Shaker style

cutting the bedpost in half to create pilasters

First was to create the new pilasters—flea market bed posts, actually!

Cutting it in half.  I used a long board to guide the post going through the table saw.  The posts are tapered so I added a piece at the top to keep it centered while going through the blade.

Now split, I laid them out to figure out how high or how low to position them.  I decided to line them up –balance them– with the last shelf, which leaves 17½” for the bottom plinth block.

laying out the new pilasters

Next~ the new header.  I had 10″ to play with -top of the bookcase to ceiling, so I ripped a board 67½” × 10″.

A N D  I played with the positioning of the arched casing.  I  could  just cut the board to the arched form OR I could create a split pediment—uh huh!

sorting out the decorative header

I chose to create a split pediment!

I chose to create a split pediment!

~now back to painting

I finished the day cutting/making all the other small parts/details that will make this new design complete.  BUT, I loaded all of it to take to the strippers in the morning to have them stain the key parts for me.  There are multiple woods that need to match, and I’m no staining expert.  The interior and shelves will be painted.

While the guys work their expert stain magic for me, I’ll be painting the last wall from behind the shelving.  AND I’ll work on updating some of the family photos displayed there!

Catherine

What a difference a day makes—we’re snow covered AGAIN.

~and now back to SNOW...ugh

Read Full Post »