Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘arched window casing’

shelves and parts just waiting~~and it’s not even finished!

Yesterday morning I anxiously headed out to pick up my parts.  The guys did an OUTstanding job and I was super happy!  Sure~the stain was a smidge darker than my plan, but, com’on—

it’s so beaUtiful!

And here we go

This is the room Monday, ready and waiting. . .

clear weather~nice day

the room is ready to go!

And Tuesday. . .the parts picked up and now just propped together for a general lay of the land before jumping in full fledged!

propped together for a general overview

Although I brought in the compressor, nailers, drill—and a variety of other accouterments, I still needed to run in and out to make cuts and router things.  And the RAIN moved in.  For the day.  Joy.

With ME and PARTS running in and out getting wet.

Some things were pre-cut and waiting, but other things had to be done on the fly.  Adjustments and tweaks had to be made~it happens.  So in the frenzy of work I didn’t get many “along the way” pics to share, sorry.

adjusting the plinth blocks and base

contouring the back cleats to hold/stabilize the pilastersThe jist of the work

–I started with the right side, attaching the cleating and base plinth.  

–The first change came once I added the pilaster, it just looked too “flat.”  So I pulled it off and ran it through the router with a trim bit to follow the contours.

–Calculate the cut and attach the top plinth block.

–Slide the right bookcase over, snug to the wall~move the left bookcase in and screw them together.

–Repeat the whole pilaster profile process on the left side.

–Cut/install hidden cleats to install/stabilize the center base.

–Install decorative header with the addition of 2 “L” brackets from behind for extra security.

–Add scribe to the center bottom-top bookcase divide, and rip/cut ¼” veneer to conceal the center bookcase connections.

–Lastly, each shelf had to be ripped down a slight bit shallower.  One of my corny big brothers noted that “It’ll be hard to keep your books straight.  We’ll have to call you Ei-leen.”

concealing the center connection and adding stained scribe to the middle

cutting the shelves down to fit behind the new pilasters/cleating

a NEW look!

The next tasks are to putty, lightly sand, and paint the whole interior.  And, REset that interior outlet and cover plate.

Plus, we’re in a full out snow storm now—w t h Mother Nature??

I need to decide on lighting -or not- and adding a top finial -or not- .

I liked it before but

I love it now!

Catherine

—there’s MORE to come & to explain!

the evolution of these bookcases!

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

A pair of simple, classic Shaker bookcases—

in the beginning (below upper right corner), and later, moved together in construction and altered by the addition of reeded pilasters with plinth blocks, and crown & base moldings.  And lighting.

the Shaker-styled bookcases

the 2nd life of the Shaker bookcasesIt was a simple, classic look.

But you know what?  I just NEVER felt satisfied.  Years of thinking about their change, many sketches, a collection of architectural items—just lead back to ANOTHER version of simple and classic!

This LAST DESIGN~I’m happy.

So on Wednesday, I cleaned the shelves of all the family pictures.  I stripped down all the embellishments and carried the bookshelves outside to work on their last makeover!

We’ve been in a veritable heatwave and all the snow is melted -which let me lay them out on the driveway on their backs to more easily work out all those details!

creating a new face~

Here, all the facing of the Shaker style is removed-

DEconstructing the original Shaker style

cutting the bedpost in half to create pilasters

First was to create the new pilasters—flea market bed posts, actually!

Cutting it in half.  I used a long board to guide the post going through the table saw.  The posts are tapered so I added a piece at the top to keep it centered while going through the blade.

Now split, I laid them out to figure out how high or how low to position them.  I decided to line them up –balance them– with the last shelf, which leaves 17½” for the bottom plinth block.

laying out the new pilasters

Next~ the new header.  I had 10″ to play with -top of the bookcase to ceiling, so I ripped a board 67½” × 10″.

A N D  I played with the positioning of the arched casing.  I  could  just cut the board to the arched form OR I could create a split pediment—uh huh!

sorting out the decorative header

I chose to create a split pediment!

I chose to create a split pediment!

~now back to painting

I finished the day cutting/making all the other small parts/details that will make this new design complete.  BUT, I loaded all of it to take to the strippers in the morning to have them stain the key parts for me.  There are multiple woods that need to match, and I’m no staining expert.  The interior and shelves will be painted.

While the guys work their expert stain magic for me, I’ll be painting the last wall from behind the shelving.  AND I’ll work on updating some of the family photos displayed there!

Catherine

What a difference a day makes—we’re snow covered AGAIN.

~and now back to SNOW...ugh

Read Full Post »