This crude drawing was the result of trying to get someone to understand the new design I was going for.
*This is what said design looks like when you DRAW on your cell phone pictures using your finger! But you guys do that too~right?!?
After emptying the bookcases I stripped all evidence of the Shaker styling AND my later style changes.
I cut a former fluted bed post in half to become pilasters. I built plinth blocks. I cut trim pieces.
I ripped a new header board to width and length, and sorted out that final design with the salvaged arched casing.
I took the left bookcase, header, new face frame parts, and trim to the strippers to work some serious stain magic with the crazy mixture of woods. White oak, Aspen, Cherry, Birch, and Maple. It took some playing with stain colors to find a complimentary color and tone that didn’t mean going DARK. Whew.
While the guys worked on their part I returned to painting. Before Christmas I painted the bulk of the living room, but not the front wall with floor to ceiling windows or the bookshelf-side of the fire place.
The room is now 100% REfreshed and looks and feels WONDERFUL!
While I had things knocked down I took advantage to “correct” a BIG annoyance. The wall-to-ceiling cut-in line lost its crisp edge with each new paint job, so I brushed the outer-most ceiling edge with its Ben Moore Alabaster color down onto the wall [about] an inch. Once dry I cut a NEW crisp cut line with the suede wall paint.
OMG it looks SO much nicer!
I finished all the detail painting early this morning and spent a good bit of time cleaning and polishing EVERYthing thoroughly before/as I REstored the room.
I’ll be picking up the final parts of this project from the strippers in the morning and spending the day “building” the new bookcases! And painting the interiors.