100% assembly-required, (kind of) cheap materials but interestingly~NOT a cheap price tag.
Convenience is the name of the game here, not necessarily style.
I found this on Craigslist for $15 and wanted to use it for display in another antique mall (that still may or may not happen–??).
since I don’t NEED it for its intended purpose, now it’s in the way and needs to go—BUT CERTAINLY NOT LOOKING LIKE THIS!
Also found on Craigslist were these split log fence boards—free! I got first dibs and took a LOT but not all. By the time I thought about what I could do with them the rest were gone~ boo-hoo.
Hey—it’s finally cottage season, how about a fun
styled piece using the free CL-boards! But they were used raw and were really filthy from the elements, so I pressure-washed them clean!
Even after sort of disassembling the bookcase and giving it a new WOOD face frame, it was actually a SIMPLE, EASY face lift! Albeit t e d i o u s!
Adding crown molding required some compound cuts. The challenge was fun but you can see I miscalculated a tiny bit on the left (dang it!)—I caulked it in.
I laid the cabinet down on saw horses to work easier, and then set boards between to create a “stop” to start the first course of board-facing -or cladding.
The fence boards were not quite long enough for my tall cabinet so I added a wood base from some salvage. AND- you know, it gave a cleaner-finished bottom. You can also see I added cedar feet—cut from a long 4×4 post several summers ago for multiple burgeoning projects !
I didn’t like the PLAIN wood face frame so I clad it too—which messed up the crown molding. I’ll play more with that later. But my immediate fix was to use a ripped length of a board as another layer of “crown molding.”
I tried laying the boards vertically, horizontally, and in a chevron pattern. Nope. Nothing looked right. A picture frame pattern looked the best of all -but what to do with the center void. . .