*Bear in mind—hired job, fun project, MCM-lovers~don’t hate me for the changes, please.
Judy’s Dresser (well~her husband’s dresser).
The project started by cutting off the legs, then I cut & contoured a new skirted-apron-leg combo. This let me reduce the height of the dresser a little—from 39½” down to 38″ which will also ease the potential tight fit (back in its place) since it’s also a little bit wider now!
That’s where I left you~here’s what’s happened
& where it’s at now!
◊ On the right above, you can see the adjustments to the side-fronts to accommodate the new pilasters (a stair spindle ripped in half)…
…and now applied.
Next, I removed the “hardware”. . .
which was just a flat, applied piece covering routered holes.
I used a nice clear Aspen for all my additions. Because. . . I’m painting the dresser so why buy a more expensive matching wood and this definitely kept the costs down.
This is also a nice clear wood, meaning~no knots, imperfections, or deep/large grain that will show texturally through paint. And [more importantly] it’s easy cutting, and do I need that right now!
I wanted to create a new 13″w center profile (for balance) to cover and create new drawer fronts, but that wood almost tripled my cost, so I bought a 1×6×8 that could be cut to length & glued together for a 12″w new front (pick your battles).
I cut the length in half and ran one side of each through the router with a larger 1″ round over bit. I found and marked the middle of the drawers- cut one drawer/section at a time- and glued and tacked one half at a time.
And then Guess What?
I hated the top section.
Before things got fully set up, I quickly ripped the top section back off, ripped a long piece to width & depth, routered the front edges with a ¼” round-over bit, and used that to divide the top split drawers from the lowers. However. . .
Two points here—I very specifically cut off the “pilaster” ends to line up at the drawers. But with the change, I don’t like where the white pointer shows the line up~uugh!
I’ll REaddress the top drawers when I’m painting—unless something hits me sooner!
You can see the change in width by the old top (still intact above), so that was the next
to go change. Again, I bought a large, mostly clear, Aspen board 1″ thick. FYI~Wood dimensions are deceiving. *A board rough cut to 1″ -is milled down to anywhere between ¾” to 7/8″ but sold as 1″ ! If a specific dimension is critical to your project, make sure you have your tape measure on hand to check where the finished board landed. The ACTUAL dimensions of my 1×6×8 Aspen board is ¾×5½×8 .
I cut the board to width and depth, contouring around the pilasters, and ran the 1″ round-over router bit around it.
I stained the top. Boy~that Aspen sure gave me a lot of trouble with color. All the stains I usually use for a soft warm color—came out dark or too red/orange. Once I’m painting I’ll readdress that issue—as needed (oh poo!). Oh! And I added a very simple back ledger again!