Uh~ y e a.
Plaids. What · a · job.
I needed to decide on which plaid—there are several. I actually prefer the two most classic designs, and in the end -for this tall, narrow dresser- I decided on the singular red stripe.
Then I needed to plan out the SIZE & where I wanted things to line up.
These are the first phases—below that is how I got there.
Once I figured out where I wanted things to land, it was easier to figure out how BIG the pattern needed to be.
The most classic plaid has 5 stripes~ black| white| black| white| black. To make life easier, I decided each stripe would be the width of my painter’s tape~and I marked out 5 pieces of tape to start gauging my layout lines.
I planned for 2 verticals and 3 horizontals—all to be centered.
1st, I laid out the sections for, & sprayed the white, gave it ample time to dry, then laid out the 3 charcoal gray stripes. I used short pieces of tape as spacers to stay uniform.
I know it looks super busy, but it’s about to make perfect sense!
This is the foundation. And as you’re seeing this, I’m working on the details—the red and something extra. Unfortunately, I had a good bit of bleed-through and will have to do some (challenging) clean up. :’ (
I use some pretty good tape, but this project required a LOT of it so I was cheap and didn’t use the best—hence the clean up.