I was participating in a glue trial when all kinds of crazy/sad stuff erupted and I had to bail on things. Priorities, y’know.
I’ve finally found my way back to that CL secretary and glue trial project.
The top parts -the pediment- of the secretary are only propped together in this picture. The whole thing was broken into many pieces and needed quite a bit of repair and restoration.
The glue trial was for a clear Gorilla Glue that seemed to be the perfect answer for this repair—so the timing was “good.”
There were sO many rough spots and broken pieces to work on, starting with scraping, sanding, and cleaning away all of that old glue and the connections.
I was totally in favor of using the strength of Gorilla Glue, but THIS glue for its CLEAR nature and that it DOESN’T foam up as it sets/cures.
-You still have to wet both surfaces, AND clamp everything—because it does not instantly bond.
You can see below— after setting each piece, the clamps would cause “ooze” that had to be wiped away. I like to use the compressor and air gun to really wipe it all clean. No missed glue residue in the end!
It took 10 clamps to secure all the parts
and put this pediment back together.
There’s still a little repair work to be done on the top, namely the doors—but I took the base to the strippers for their expertise on a few of its veneer issues.