Tomorrow will be 6 weeks since I sprained my ankle so badly. I’ve had ups and downs trying to heal, and our recent tornado scare was certainly no help—but all in all, it’s “better!” I’ve been trying to work on small, non-stressful things, and was finally about to jump back into a big furniture project when the storms hit, so once again, things got side-lined for clean up. However—
the deck step lights died and needed replacing, and since that was a pretty low key project~I jumped on it!
I found white·clear rope lights seemed to work well for this project.
- They gave a nice, even illumination of the steps AND the flagstone at night for safety—and pretty, ambient lighting too!
- BUT—they yellow with age and don’t have a long life.
- They are low profile (½”) and fit well under the lip of the step,
- except- their mounting clips push them back out.
- And until recently, they didn’t have l o n g lengths so you had to connect multiple strands to get the length you wanted (which could be a gOOd thing too).
- longer lengths,
- lower profile (3/8″),
- brighter light, and
- longer LIFE – lower energy consumption
of the LED rope lights!
And how convenient—I needed 48ft!
So I bought them & installed them AT DUSK—so I could see where I was putting them, but also, how I wanted to REadjust the lighting layout this time around!
And- instead of using the included mounting clips (same issue of projecting out more than I wanted), I used cable staples. I could secure the lights in more places and tighter to the deck! I just had to hammer them in place one at a time—really easy!
Mom snapped a couple of pictures of me working on it as the sun set (it was not as dark as the picture would have you believe).
Thought you’d like to compare—with lights & without!
Now you see why we need’m?
And you can see they aren’t too in your face by daylight.
Btw—those are outdoor floor lamps on each side of the porch swing! Totally portable, except that I did screw them in place after a few wind storms knocked them over. And, they have built-in dimmers!