I’m juggling multiple projects–again!
You guys do that too, right?
I showed you my “Christmas list“ so you know I’ve got a lot going on.
Well, here’s the latest on my Under-the-stairs project. . . .
My design has 3 sections–the open top, the middle pull out shelf, and the bottom will be closed with doors.
The pointers are showing you the next big “engineering” setback I discovered after I cut the board. . .. in ONE piece– complete with weird angles to fit exactly in place over that pull out shelf.
It fit really snugly and was tough to set it place–but I was happy! UNTIL. I discovered an inherent problem I hadn’t considered. The center of the top was sagging. And it didn’t even have weighty dishes on it yet.
The only solution seemed to be to take it back out and cut it in –sigh– 2. Then create a vertical divider that could be screwed into the left side of the base and secured to the back of the stair riser, which completely stabilized the sagging-YaY! I re-installed the right side and tied the two sides together with a front 1″ strip. Problem solved. Nothing hanging down on the pull-out shelf!
Yes—card stock paper, scissors, and tape were the necessary tools! ; D
I also used this template to make easy work of cutting the pine bead-board!
I re-skinned the entire upper section with pine bead-board ~because I ran out of plywood and some of my cuts were –rough.
The first coat of paint is on–YaY! And I need to get on to the face frame and shelves.
Until we can truly renovate the kitchen, small changes will have to make it feel fresher.
I decided to use Venetian Plaster and Frog Tape‘s Chevron patterned tape that I got at Haven.
My mom loves her blues and isn’t very sold on the lighter color, so I thought I’d give her more blue in this refresh! After figuring out the spacing and taping the wall, I troweled on a mix of white-beige & blue Venetian Plaster.
Before it could set up, I pulled the tape–tomorrow I’ll give it a very light sanding and seal it.