The old record cabinet.
I bought this in Atlanta in 2009
My plan was to convert it into a little girl’s armoire. I was going to shorten the legs some and add an architectural crown at the top. But–I had so many children’s cabinets to be sold–I back-burnered it, however, I did not mean to abandon the poor thing altogether.
It’s been so long, I may have had a change of heart regarding its new design. At 37h x 15½d x 18½w . . . .
How about a small space night stand–?? Too tall? A side table? Drop a sink in it to go in a very small half bath? I could keep going here you know…!
One change I intended is still happening—I’m cutting out the center door section!
After adding back some missing appliques and deciding on the thickness of the new door frame, I used a piece of wood as a measuring and marking guide–then free-handed and eased those finished lines with a sharpie marker so it was easy to follow with the jig saw.
I drilled pilot holes at each of the corners -and a few extra places- to poke the blade through in cutting out the center. I did a pretty accurate job with the jig saw (it’s a curved door), but I still eased the edges really carefully -and again- free-hand at the router table with a dado bit. Lastly, I switched to a ¼” round over bit and finished with a little sanding.
This is where I left off last night… everything sanded and primed, except the top is stripped (for now).
Here are all the parts laid back out. The poor little cabinet was so loose-y goose-y and super rough, I thought it would be easier just to take it completely apart. I know~looks like crap right now, just gimme a minute….