I’ve been asked before, and again just recently with my hallway project,
“Why did you -or- how did you choose
the heights for your moldings/built-ins?”
It’s all about THE SPACE and MATH. After years of construction, cabinet design, and design work in general–you have to bear in mind that I tend to be really sensitive to aesthetics, proportion, balance, and scale.
~Some say I’m just overly picky. Aww–Thanks!
A coat rail is perfect during cold weather for the overflow of coats! Because it will be used mostly by the kids, I used their “reach” to determine the hook height—and therefore the top rail height for the board and batten I wanted to hang.
I used painter’s tape to mark off a hook line (according to the kids’ reach), and adjusted it aesthetically with/to the 6 paneled back door.
The board & batten, top rail & cap with 7 hooks landed at a comfy 5ft high.
Work on mom’s 2nd guest bedroom involved hanging bead board with a chair rail cap to cover over wall cracks that we’ve never been able to successfully repair. And I wanted to hang wallpaper and have some fun with architectural millwork!
Finding a height –or HORIZON LINE.
Mom didn’t want to overwhelm the room with wallpaper so the visual horizon line had to be higher than the standard wainscoting-chair rail.
The windows gave the cues to find the new height/horizon line.
Using painter’s tape to mark off a visual line on the walls, first at the bottom of the window—no, still too much wallpaper above. I raised the tape to the middle of the window sash—still not quite right. Then to the center point of the mullions and to a drapery line.
Taking all the visual cues into consideration, ultimately, the draperies decided it, plus they had a lacey top panel that lined up well with the mullions in the window. But- the top of the drapes would leave too small a wallpaper area, so……
you can see by the “pointers” in the picture where the best visually-aesthetically-proportionate balance fell…..and that’s how the bead board height was determined.
I had been asked if there was “anything” to be done with this L O N G, boring hallway. I thought it was just desperate for “texture.”
It was unending with 7 doors opening into it. Just being sassy, I thought about adding hotel room numbers to the doors.
I added picture frame molding. Lots of it.
And a chair rail.
-I used the top line of the bottom/1st door panel–under the door knob to set the chair rail height.
-I used the bottom line of the middle door panel–above the door knob to set the bottom of the picture frame box.
-The difference between those two elements gave me a “fixed” distance for the ceiling-to-top of the picture frame boxes -and- between each box and door casings so everything is balanced.
Once everything was hung, puttied, caulked, sanded—it was ALL painted ONE color so it reads as wall TEXTURE.