I began the morning emptying the existing shelves~
~an exhausting task.
Then I deconstructed the old bookshelf. Another exhausting task, but very worthwhile to capture the extra wood for my project. And reduce the end costs.
By lunch I was finally on construction–YaY!
- I cut the boards for the long-wall and corner, and made final decisions on spacing.
- I ripped and cut boards for cleats and secured the basic structure to the wall.
- The top rails of the face frames were a mathematical exercise. The long wall required a 3″ tall 35° cut to fit snug under the eaves. The taller section’s rail had all flat sides but angled end cuts, and was only 2³⁄8″ tall to line up with the other 3″ rail.
- I cut and attached the side shelf cleats, then the styles of the face frame, and I cut two of the lower shelves on the long wall.
At this point you can see I was losing daylight and I was whooped from all the up and down-crawling around the floor, and up and down the stairs, and in and out to the garage.
Here’s a little more detail of the angled cuts needed to make everything fit nicely under the eaves. This should give you a good idea of the fun of it all–haha. More tomorrow as work continues….