Little did I know how complicated that 2nd rocker would be.
Let’s just say—if I had sTARted with the 2nd, the chairs would’ve been PAINTed and covered with fabric.
The 1st rocker took a day’s worth of sanding to clean up the decades of dirt, and break through the original finish. Then I re-stained it and seal-coated it.
*Katie promptly asked, “How did you make it lOOk sO gOOd?!?”
* * * * *
My initial plan was to sand it (sort of clean) leaving some of the years of wear and dirt –patina!- and then over-stain it.
One very tough day of sanding, using 3 different sanders with different grades of sand paper. Nothing. I truly didn’t even make a DENT in ~ANY part of it. Like I hadn’t touched it yet.
Day two. I STARTed sanding, but bailed on thAT quickly and went to buy some more furniture stripper. I ran out of the natural citrus stripper I prefer–but the guy in the paint department suggested using a stripper specifically for varnish-shellac-and dirt instead anyway.
AnD my skin! I didn’t have appropriate gloves and didn’t think about that at the store. O.w.ie! But you can see how it ate through the GUNK.