. . .well, it wasn’t thAt cheap—$30. And the guy wouldn’t budge in spite of condition. I hate when that happens.
I love creating benches,
I have several that I am keeping,
but thIS is another that will go to the antique mall!
Is this not the sADdest looking thing? How did someone think this was a good thing to do–?? Shame-shame-shame.
So~1st things 1st. Empty the drawers, and, cut the thing up!
1st, I decided on the height of my bench. Then subtracting for the thickness of the top, padding and upholstery–I cut the dresser at 18½” from the bottom up.
I always create a fence to make the cut safely. I prefer to use the circular saw for these tasks–it makes the fastest, cleanest cut. AnD, with a fence, it’s a nice, straight cut.
2ndly, the “card board” sides needed to be reinforced~
there’s nO way they’d EVer be able to hold weight! So I knocked out the corner braces throughout to make way for the solid boards to fill those hollow interior voids.
I pulled from my stock of old kitchen cabinet doors that I buy for $1 each at the ReStore, and a whole bunch I found on the curb on overflow day. Those really old cabinet doors are solid slabs of good, cheap wood! I glued them up, then nailed them in place. The structure is pretty solid now.
These dressers are made sO cheaply, and the drawers are the absolute evidence. So I decided to dummy the drawer front and attach it permanently. With barely any effort of the rubber mallet–the whole thing fell to pieces~thAt was disgustingly, wAy too easy. Once the drawer front was detached, I ran it through the table saw cutting it down to the newly needed size.
I ripped some ½” scrap wood to 2½” wide, and cut it to length to connect and support the dummy drawer face.
*btw—and, just an FYI. If you’ve ever seen any diy cabinetry info from the box stores, or layouts/plans from a designer—you may have seen tags like –DDF, FF, WEP, BEP, RR, DR. They are acronyms for Dummy Drawer Front, Face Frame, Wall (cabinet) End Panel, Base (cabinet) End Panel, Refrigerator Return, Dishwasher Return. There are a hundred acronyms used~these are among the most common parts you’ll see used. ~Sometimes I forget myself and write them into my project descriptions without thought (like I initially did just above, but corrected).
I cut a new bottom for it (after removing the drawer guide), filled the old drawer pull holes, and caulked all seams/connections with construction adhesive. Before I quit last night, I used some primer to knock out that awful blue. I’m off to a really late start for today, and probably won’t get much time working on it. You see. . .
. . .I’m off to meet my nEWest great-Great-nephew!
Babies don’t keep~cabinets do!
Read Full Post »