Needing a break and a little playtime, I spent a day checking out some thrift stores and the two area ReStores!
Next to one of the places, is a woodworker’s store I love to wander–and dream of buying some of the really cool (really expensive) power tools! I noticed they had “parts” for making a split pediment–interesting. Well, then how about a router bit so I can cut my own design…? Yes–and also very expensive. But it’s definitely something I’ll come back to. In the meantime, I decided to buy a few of those pediment parts to try something out—and this was the start of building Sophie!
The Process & Parts-
◊ I used some veneered plywood left over from another “Mom’s house” project. Laying the board flat, I drew out the general dimensions of the cabinet,
◊ played around with the position for the crown molding to the pediment, starting out more horizontally, slowly moving them diagonally until I liked the layout, and added a couple of small bull’s eye appliques.
◊ I traced everything out, sketched in the rest of the contours, and finally cut the backboard, revealing a split pediment shape!
◊ I glued and nailed the crown molding and appliques,
◊ puttied, sanded, and primed everything. ◊ While I was at it, I took advantage to wallpaper, too, using a lovely old damask someone donated to the ReStore. I love this paper, but can’t find any info on it– it’s just OLD!
Building a cabinet around a backboard was very odd~that’s usually one of the last steps!
◊ I cut sides and attached them to the backboard,
◊ built a face frame for the base around a curbie drawer,
◊ cut the balls from some porch spindles to create bun feet,
◊ and copied and re-sized the wood top design from Tolani~but I still had to come up with a finial. I tried several I’ve collected before stealing this one, from another piece of furniture.
I wanted this little china hutch to stay soft and simple, so I opted to shabby chic it! And here she is….!