Havin’ a little delay finishing Brody’s dresser—
his daddy has not yet given me the required antlers.
Well~ it’s done otherwise!
If you remember, it’s a PLASTIC-based dresser. Nothing I would have EVer picked for my baby nephew, OR A PROJECT!
At its core, it seems to be MDF–making it a really heavy piece. But it’s finish is some HEAVY coated [type of plastic.] At first blush, I thought it was an acrylic or enamel paint–but it is definitely plastic. And weird.
Since the above progress~~
I changed up on the top two drawer’s hardware. A Chevrolet knob, just for fun! And a hook, cause I thought it would be fun to have a place to either hang a cute jacket, or display an outfit for the baby!
I cut a backboard from ¼” plywood, and decided to hang birch bark wallpaper on the inside. But not just hang it, I TORE UP the wallpaper, and applied it in overlapping layers for more texture. I papered the back, sides, and “ceiling.”
I also decided to add black picture-frame molding to the outside panels to balance out the black and stained finishes. I used ½” half round.
I bought some 1″ outside corner return and ran it up the inside sides to hide some LED rope lights. Which give a really warm glow of light, kind of night light-like!
Finally, using some off-black paint, I “dirtied-up” areas of the cabinet— and, lastly, I waxed it.
Here is my finished dresser-hutch for Brody!
–Without the antlers, and then, with mine clamped on to give a better visual! Alex has some bigger antlers that will be better scaled for the hutch.
*Now I get to work on a GIRLIE project! ; D
A close up of the thick live-edged shelves, the torn birch bark wallpaper, and the outside return that conceals the rope lights. The whole in the bottom, left corner lets the cord out the back.
I’m sharing Brody’s dresser with these linky parties!
Read Full Post »