It’s been a looong haul dealing with the aftermath of the -now 6 they’ve sited- EF1 and EF2 tornadoes that hit us in my first 24hrs after returning from Haven.
Tornadoes, the worst sinus infection EVer, hAstily emptying mom’s storage unit of its wet and damaged contents, removing tree branches from the garage roof and all over the property–and dealing with Insurance people.
NoT. fUn. stuff.
The Insurance Claims Adjuster only wants to cover a 4ft x 4ft area of damage on the roof, and only THE HALF of the broken tree branch that is actually ON the roof—we’re supposed to take care of the other half of the split-in half-branch. How is that even logical “help?”
When I asked the “stupid question” of PROactive vs REactive costs, they said they will basically “. . cross that bridge when they get to it.” So I called the Insurance Agent to say if this is American Family’s idea of Customer Care—well, we’ll finish out this 1st-eVer claim and look for a new Insurance Company—Thank You VEry mUch.
The Insurance Agent suddenly appeared at the front door in about 45 minutes. But they are sTill trying to get out of anything they possibly can. And now that the tree is off the roof, you can see there’s certainly more than a 4 x 4 area of damage.
*Incidentally, the claims adjuster is only planning to reimburse or cover the costs of ½ of a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood, only what it will take to cover the 4×4 area from a roll of felt-paper, and he counted out 16 shingles. Anyone know what store will sell us just those portions of materials–???
I’m wondering if it would be cost effective to make a biGGer hole, and add a skylight-? After we replace the broken rafters, of course. It would be great to add some more NATural light to work by.
Here’s the storage unit—
I thought the gazeebo might give you the best idea of just how wonky so many things are–that are still standing. The units on the ends were hit the hardest, and I used to be in that one with the truck. This is all that remains of those units post-storm, they have NoT been cleaned out by their owners.
The last picture in the bottom right corner shows the walls of my former unit. I took a picture of the heap of garage door remains that were brought back from the woods—and then I noticed that the one on top was “mine,” #78. Woooooow. Thankfully, my treasures were safely mOved to another area, and completely spared. Thank You Lord.
Okay, so moving on to some projects once again–
This was a chair from my Grandma! I always loved this chair and wanted it–it was at the bottom of the pile in mom’s storage unit. Thankfully it only suffered mild damages–but it was drenched (like everything else) by the rain on the back-end of the storm. I’ll be working on this when I find the right fabric! I’d love to strip the arms pale-natural, and find some chocolate mohair! It has hidden back legs that tip the chair back!
This dresser was also under the pile of toppled books, boxes, and papers. I’m ditching the damaged drawers and gutting it–and re-outfitting it as a bookcase. ThIS I will begin before the day is done–so stay tuned!
Read Full Post »