I’ve been asked before, and again just recently with my hallway project,
“Why did you -or- how did you choose
the heights for your moldings/built-ins?”
It’s all about THE SPACE and MATH. After years of construction, cabinet design, and design work in general–you have to bear in mind that I tend to be really sensitive to aesthetics, proportion, balance, and scale.
~Some say I’m just overly picky. Aww–Thanks!
Starting with the simplest of projects first– Mom’s back hallway.
A coat rail is perfect during cold weather for the overflow of coats! Because it will be used mostly by the kids, I used their “reach” to determine the hook height—and therefore the top rail height for the board and batten I wanted to hang.
I used painter’s tape to mark off a hook line (according to the kids’ reach), and adjusted it aesthetically with/to the 6 paneled back door.
The board & batten, top rail & cap with 7 hooks landed at a comfy 5ft high.
Work on mom’s 2nd guest bedroom involved hanging bead board with a chair rail cap to cover over wall cracks that we’ve never been able to successfully repair. And I wanted to hang wallpaper and have some fun with architectural millwork!
Finding a height –or HORIZON LINE.
Mom didn’t want to overwhelm the room with wallpaper so the visual horizon line had to be higher than the standard wainscoting-chair rail.
The windows gave the cues to find the new height/horizon line.
Using painter’s tape to mark off a visual line on the walls, first at the bottom of the window–no, still too much wallpaper above. I raised the tape to the middle of the window sash–still not quite right. Then to the center point of the mullions and to a drapery line.
Taking all the visual cues into consideration, ultimately, the draperies decided it, plus they had a lacey top panel that lined up well with the mullions in the window. But- the top of the drapes would leave too small a wallpaper area, so……
you can see by the “pointers” in the picture where the best visually-aesthetically-proportionate balance fell…..and that’s how the bead board height was determined.
I had been asked if there was “anything” to be done with this L O N G, boring hallway. I thought it was just desperate for “texture.”
It was unending with 7 doors opening into it. Just being sassy, I thought about adding hotel room numbers to the doors.
I added picture frame molding. Lots of it.
And a chair rail.
The 6 paneled doors gave some obvious cues to follow.
-I used the top line of the bottom/1st door panel–under the door knob to set the chair rail height.
-I used the bottom line of the middle door panel–above the door knob to set the bottom of the picture frame box.
-The difference between those two elements gave me a “fixed” distance for the ceiling-to-top of the picture frame boxes -and- between each box and door casings so everything is balanced.
Once everything was hung, puttied, caulked, sanded—it was ALL painted ONE color so it reads as wall TEXTURE.
All of this leads up to mom’s
which needs more explanation,
next post. . . .
Read Full Post »