**I sure hope this isn’t considered REgifting!
Just more than 2½ years ago, this lovely grandmother asked if I would consider a partial trade for a custom cabinet for her baby granddaughter. She had something I coveted in her flea market space–so we worked out a deal!
She loved the elements of two cabinets, so I sketched out varying designs until we came up with a winner, and I began building a couple weeks later! In the process of construction, I had a few other ideas and wanted to confer with her—but I couldn’t reach her. For more than a year and a half, I left messages on her home, cell, and work phones–with no luck.
At last, I reached her to learn that health issues, family issues, and a major move happened. You know -LIFE. But I was happy to hear the chaos was settling down. —We talked about the cabinet, the design, my new ideas–but also how I could take my time, ’cause she wouldn’t be able to pay me right now. And I haven’t been able to reach her, or heard from her since.
I’ve been patiently storing the partially-built cabinet. Remember, she gave me this incredible “traded” item–it wasn’t going to kill me to have patience.
But—my cousin has a baby girl now,
–and I’m leaving for Atlanta Friday to visit,
–and I wanted to build a cabinet for her little sweetie-pie,
–and it’s been soooo busy these last months,
–and these little cuties take some time to build and finish,
–and. . . .on, and on, and on. . .
So why do I feel kind of guilty now for finally finishing this cabinet –for another little girl–?
. . . look at that little face—-awwwww. . . .
These are the two primary cabinet designs she wanted us to meld together– Rachel & Brooke!
She liked the scalloped sides, but preferred a drawer, and WE made a lower deck for her little one to sit on. She wanted a more solid paint pallet in a peachy-pink, not the design patchwork, but she still wanted the “Oooh, la la!” And she wanted a combo of shelves and a hook for a coat. I’d been wanting to build an arched top for a while, and she liked that change-up!
Here was the beginning of the design–
Figuring out the beveled cut/angle to create the arch was quite a challenge. I tried several approaches before figuring it out–and since I haven’t done it since—I don’t remember how I got it!
But to revamp the design for Miss Emma, I DE-constructed the base. No more drawer–it now has a flip up lid. I gutted the cavity and opened it up entirely–much more storage capacity! I left the “look” of the drawer (a dummy-drawer front), and added a 3-leaf clover drop.
I haven’t quite figured out the paint scheme–that’s today’s project!
Read Full Post »