Yes. I hAd plans. They didn’t qUITe work out.
But I Am back on track, and have finally managed to finish this 2nd Craig’s List dresser. I was strUggling to find the perfect fabric for the seat. I had a lOt of -NicE- choices, but nOthing looked awesome—and I rEAlly felt like it hAd to look AWEsome! ; D
So let me back up for just a minute and tell you—when a friend weighed in on this issue of fabric, she also asked if I was
“. . .going to paint the bench–??”
I said “I DiD already!”
“Oh! It’s that Provençal style!”
“Not actually! But I wanted it to lOOk “auTHENtic!” I wanted it to lOOk completely NATURAL! Like I was just lucky enough to find something “just as was!”
“Well, yOu DiD it!”
Although it was painted some nasty blue, underneath, it was that yellow-y, splattered finish.
You’ll have to take my word for it, it looks sO much mOre fAbulous in person, and I’m tOtally in love with the finish. I primed the whole piece with a little darker shade of BM’s Revere Pewter, before actually painting it with this longtime, favorite (that I haven’t used in quite a while). ~It’s a really easy shade of a gray-beige-taupe. *Note that waxing reduces the gray.
You can see that I painted the drawer fronts, apron, and legs an Alabaster white. And I used a gold leafing paint to emphasize key areas. Then I distressed the whole piece, and waxed it clear aNd dark.
So, back to the fabric choice. I decided to give up a special fabric I bought at Forsyth Fabrics when I was in Atlanta in January. I figured I could pick up more next week while I’m back for Haven!
I bought two of these fabric panels to make pillows (in different colors and phrases)—but I hadn’t done it yet. And it seemed to be the PERFECT choice! Except that it was square -for a pillow- and the bench top was 15″ x 31″. So I cut off the excess from the top and bottom, and sewed them to the sides!
It barely fit -but it DiD- I made it work! And now it’s heading off to the antique mall for sale! Ha! I actually like the sewn on sides!
I’m sharing this project with~