The 3rd week projects are up, and
I can’t wait for you to see mine!
–You guys always have me figured out!–
I think my niece’s family is getting great use of their Christmas present! –And her husband wants to paint the kitchen cabinets to go with it!
**The overload of coats is because of a family get-together.
**The trunk is all them!
It has been a loooong, tough week— I’ve been in bed with the flu.
“But I’m in the One Month to Win It contest and need to finish my project for the 3rd week competition –if I get voted through.” Thankfully, it was mostly done when that nasty bug sacked me.
Two of my little nieces have claimed this for their bedroom! But in the pink please! –That was predictable!
–Had a lot of fun playing with the glass paint.
–Stirred up other ideas and got me playing! Here’s a little peek at one—
To begin–I could not find the paint I wanted, and I’m kind of ocd-organized. Then my second choice paint began reacting “funny” on top of the primer. Oy. Lots of painting, sanding, painting, sanding. .. but, 1 problem down.
You guys have done some incredible transfers. I’ve looked on with great enthusiasm—but have not yet tried it myself.
The image I selected was circular and needed to be stretched out considerably to fit my doors appropriately–and–I remembered to reverse the image!
*Remember, I was doing this for the OMTWI contest–with a deadline–omg! I walked away for a bit (to re-compose). I thought -maybe- I didn’t do something right.
Is it the paint? I tried to transfer the image on to clean, raw wood–nothing. In frustration, I covered the wet image with paper towels and tried to force the transfer with a very hot iron. And resumed burnishing–again.
The f-a-i-n-t-i-s-t image appeared. So faint and blotchy–looked more like dirt.
The hot iron “dried” the image, so I got out some transfer/carbon paper and tried to hand-transfer the image. Which still wouldn’t transfer, and I was pressing super hard!
I got my opaque projector out –
—More help, p-lea-se, Kristy!
We wrote back and forth some more trying to problem solve. I told her all of the above. *Although this is not how she has done hers–she suggested that it could be the printer ink, or that even the paper could be making a difference. Clearly, she has had great success, and sometimes you really need someone to commiserate with. HUge thanks, girl!
I re-printed the image on a different printer, with different paper–and got the same outcome.
Because I was able to get the ever-so-slightest, teeniest image to transfer—it gave me the faintest “something” to follow–
and I painted the doors by hand–with the image taped up in front of me for reference.
Missing drawers got her thinking about building a box insert. Ingenius! She tells me that since these pictures, she’s added trim to its rough front edges. Pictures please, Karen!
You can see that her lingerie chest is a finer piece of furniture than the one I had to work with. Really nice contoured and bow-fronted drawers, and side panels!
–Originally, I wanted to leave 2 drawers, splitting the cabinet in half, but I didn’t like the balance, and took out one more–Perfect! Then I could cut out the drawer dividers.
–Next, to re-fit the interior walls (below, in the upper two pictures), running them all the way down through the remaining drawer section. And, finally, the new bottom shelf is cut~routered~and installed. It will also act as a door “stop”
–I’ve always loved how really old cabinets have split panels making up the back board, so I ripped some boards, and beveled the edges to create the look!
I struggled over this for a bit. Because–I was liking the cabinet in its new form. But I’m building this for the contest now, and I have to use an image from the Graphics Fairy. Hmmm.
“Where do I put the image—on the backboard? The [new] bottom shelf? The top?” I knew you wouldn’t really see the image after you put some stuff in it.
“Well–I guess I’m back to the door. But then–which way does the door swing?” And you know how this ended.
–With the doors side by side, I nailed a rail (the former drawer rails) to each end of the doors. I used them as a guide/template to run the wood through the table saw with the blade tipped, cutting off just enough wood to begin creating the curve. The rest was all sanding and shaping with a belt sander. -The interior side of the doors remain flat.
–Below, the doors propped in place.
I definitely want to talk to some of you about transferring images!
I need to also say how much this contest is getting me re-focused on some back-burnered projects AND truly stretching my creative muscles!
The 2nd and 3rd project criteria left me with a lot of angst–I’m really not a “crafter.” But the challenges are making me grow and think in new ways –especially considering the great skills of my competition. So I owe them a very heart-felt Thank You!
which has been passed all around the family, but finally, put to use in my mom’s L-L bathroom. Its drawers are great for storage, except for taller cleaning supplies. : /
*Dec 12th–I see Karen’s inspirational project!
*Dec 13th–I receive an email that I am a finalist for One Month to Win It!
*And the 1st project—due Dec 30th–anything you want, with the requisite of using a graphic from The Graphics Fairy.
I admit, I’ve admired so many of the projects you’ve all done with her graphics –but I had yet to go peruse her catalog. Well, here was my push!
So-busy- building and sewing all my Christmas presents this year, I couldn’t begin work on the lingerie chest till Dec 26th–yikes–but I picked out my graphic!
Tomorrow, I’ll break down the whole project for you–-do I have a story to tell.
And some Thank You’s to share!
Follow along with the next posts to see the construction process!
I hope you’ll try it!